Sunday, February 22, 2015

Songs of Summer – Reminiscing Bob Seger



 
 
 
I guess it’s just common practice as we grow older that we reflect on what to us were ‘the good ol’ days’….which is certainly different from what our parents or grandparents would recall from their own era, as each generation makes their own memories.  1977 to 1980 were very impressionable teenage years for me…I was certainly a rebel, causing my mom and dad to probably get a few gray hairs or even lose some over my juvenile antics.  Even so, in retrospect, those days and the music that filled my mind and ears were fun times indeed.  As I now sit in my home looking out on the cold and fresh fallen late February snow of about 4 to 5 inches, I think back to those days of my youth...you know, that time when you thought you knew EVERYTHING? What comes to mind were those hot Summer days and warm nights…those ones that seemed to last forever…you remember those, don’t you? Ahhh….those days before the hair/glam metal bands of the 80’s that I have come to adore.  There were so many great bands then, ones that fit right in with the rebellious attitude of my late high school years. But then also, there were ones that appealed to my ‘softer’ side.
 


 

For some reason, Bob Seger’s songs remind me of summertime.  It seems hard to believe he’s nearly 70 years old now! *sigh* Where has the time gone? ‘Ain’t it funny how the ‘night moves’’? Due to the longevity of Mr. Seger’s career which spans 1969 to the present, I can only hi-light some of his career with this blog.  My favorite tune, one that always ‘takes me back’ is ‘Main Street’ (1977).  I’ve often wondered how many streets across the U.S. are named Main Street?  So, to satisfy my curiosity,  I ‘Googled’ it.  Not much help…I found a number from 1993, so that’s over 20 years ago…but it was 9,898.  Hmmm….well…ok.  Seems a little low to me…I’m sure a ton more are in existence today.  It seems every Seger album released had numerous ‘A’ side material…so much good rock ‘n roll! From this band’s inception in 1969/70 as ‘The Bob Seger System’…a tad before my time, to simply ‘Bob Seger’ in 1971-75 and 2006-14, and then, probably the most well-known name and the one I am familiar with, ‘Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band’, 1976 to 1995…tune after tune just seemed to be a hit!  Even those probably ‘less popular’ ones like ‘The Fire Down Below’, ‘Feel Like A Number’, and numerous other ones seemed to share their moments of radio play time, and I still hear them on the radio today.

 

Main Street Video Link
 
There was something about his lyrics…how the words just seemed to relate to reality, and gave insight  into life on the road as a rock star of that time.  Songs certainly tell a story, each individual to a moment or circumstance that many people can grasp.  Even then, long hair on a man was not widely acceptable, as was mentioned in the song ‘Turn the Page’… ‘Most times you can't hear 'em talk, other times you can, All the same old cliches, "Is that a woman or a man?"…And you always seem outnumbered, you don't dare make a stand…’  Getting back to ‘Main Street’…I think the meandering tempo and the saxophone seems to place you right there with him…walking along, taking in the sights and sounds of a small town.  Reminiscent of a era gone by…the young, sweet dancer, the hustler in the pool hall….just drift back in time, and find your feet….down on Main Street…..ahhh, yes indeed.  Memories…
 
Mr. Seger just has a way of relating to others on a common level….’Still The Same’ (1978), ‘Night Moves’ (1976), ‘Against The Wind’ (1980), ‘Like A Rock’ (1986) and so many others, have left a musical trail of over 50 million copies…16 studio albums, 2 live albums, 5 compilation LP’s, 60 plus singles…7 multi-platinum, 4 platinum and 2 gold...what a lifetime achievement!  You can check out his website to catch-up and keep up with his band… www.bobseger.com and of course, his social media page via FaceBook… https://www.facebook.com/bobseger. A true American rock icon….so much more could be said.  Thanks for the memories, Bob!




 


 





 
 
 
 









 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment