Sunday, March 22, 2015

Indy Band Review: The Big 80's - Southport Bar & Grill


Perhaps I’m a bit biased, but I’m partial to the 80’s decade, I’m sure you’re all aware of that by now.  It was during this span that my 20’s were in full swing. Rubik Cube was launched in 1980 followed by M-TV in the summer of ‘81.  There were just so many outstanding milestones during this time and I have many fond memories, ones that shaped me into the person I am today.  I think we would all agree if we could go back in time there would be things we would change, but I know I would not want to have missed out on all that this era imprinted onto my young world.  That being said, you can’t talk 80’s and not reminisce about parachute pants, which I never cared for…LOL…and of course, Aqua-net hairspray (white can, pink label for me, thank you)….that was glue in an aerosol form!  I used so much of that stuff, I should have bought stock in the company that makes it! I must have had to slouch in my car to get my hair to fit, and how on earth did I ever wash it all out of my hair? Yes, the 80’s were certainly ‘big’!

Photo credit: Bill Iles

Photo credit: Bill Iles

 
Local band ‘The Big 80’s’ breathes life back in time to many of the tunes that flooded the airwaves of the day.  One advantage to having female vocals is the versatility it brings to the playlist.  They hit upon just about every year of this decade with a sampling of music that made the 80’s an unforgettable musical extravaganza.  What genre tickles your fancy? New wave? Pop rock? Hip-hop? Rock? Rap? Dance-pop? Maybe hard rock or heavy metal? Big 80’s has got you covered!  So much variety in two sets! The night started off with Journey’s ‘Separate Ways’ (1983), with a twist…female vocalist Gina Dowling taking the mic. Naturally, the ‘girl tunes’ filled the bill with Joan Jett’s ‘I Love Rock ‘n Roll’ (1982), Cyndi Lauper’s ‘Girls Just Wanna Have Fun’ (1983), Pat Benatar ‘Hit Me With Your Best Shot’ (1980), and Eurythmics ‘Sweet Dreams’ (1983).

Photo credit : Bill Iles
 
Big 80's is:
 
Gina Dowling - vocals/keyboards
Joe Fortin - vocals/guitar
Scott Maxwell - lead guitar/keyboards
Nate Wiencken - vocals/drums
Eric Hammes - bass guitar
 
Joel Dowling - background vocals/sound/lights

Photo credit: Bill Iles

Photo credit: Bill Iles



There was so much dance music in this era…but really, all of it made it easy to get your ‘groove’ on, even those metal tunes!  One of the big movies in 1984 was Footloose, (Kenny Loggins) …that’s one that’s hard to sit still when you hear it.  Big 80’s kept the dance floor movin’ with this one!  Continuing the theme, Salt-N-Pepa’s ‘Push It’ (1987), Prince ‘Let’s Go Crazy’ (1984) and ‘1999’ (1982), Tone Loc’s ‘Funky Cold Medina’ (1989), B-52’s ‘Love Shack’ (1989), INXS ‘New Sensation’ (1987), Corey Hart ‘Sunglasses At Night’ (1984), The Human League ‘Don’t You Want Me’ (1981), and Beastie Boys ‘(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party)’ (1986). Other popular dance songs from Kool & The Gang, George Michael, John Mellencamp, Rick Springfield, C&C Music Factory and J. Geils Band rounded out the funk of the night.
   
Photo credit: Bill Iles
 
Photo credit: Bill Iles
 
Photo credit: Bill Iles



Don’t let all that ‘danceability’ fool ya though, as Big 80’s can rock your socks off with Def Leppard ‘Pour Some Sugar On Me’ (1987), Ozzy Osbourne ‘Crazy Train’ (1980), Guns N’ Roses ‘Sweet Child O’ Mine’ (1987), Bon Jovi ‘You Give Love A Bad Name’ (1987), Poison ‘Talk Dirty To Me’ (1987), AC/DC ‘You Shook Me All Night Long’ (1980) and Peter Gabriel ‘Sledgehammer’ (1986) plus so many other great 80’s music, and even a few from the late 70’s and early 90’s.  Be sure to visit Big 80’s website at: http://big80stributeband.com and ‘like’ them on their FaceBook page: https://www.facebook.com/thebig80sindianapolis  This local band is a great live tribute to this rockin’ era from their phenomenal light show to the rock itself….if it’s BIG, it’s The Big 80’s!









 

No comments:

Post a Comment