Sunday, July 19, 2015

Nita @ Large In Indy Blog Update



It seems hard to believe I've had this blog for 8 months now! I felt it was time for an update on it.  Technology is a wonderful thing, we can get our news instantly...and this blog is no different.  When I see a band on Saturday night, I can have the review published most times in less than 24 hours! When I wrote for a local entertainment paper back in the mid 80's...it was very different...there was a deadline, and if you missed that, then you had to wait for the review in the next paper. So the timing of when I saw a band vs. when that review was published could be as long as a month or more.
 
There are several reasons I started this blog.  One, I love to write.  Two, I love rock 'n roll...especially 80's hair/glam metal.  Three, I like to support local musicians and what better way than to highlight them in a music blog? I know it takes awhile for something 'new' to catch on...I think the blog has done quite well for the short time it has been in existence.  It's reached 40 countries (including the U.S.), and it is averaging almost 600 hits a month.  I have come to realize, there isn't anybody else I know of here locally doing what I'm doing.  That said, I truly believe there is a need for it, and so I will continue.  I enjoy it very much.
 
Indy has a lot of local talent...not all states have all these rock musicians playing like this around their town. I truly admire this form of art, although I would stop short of saying I'm a music lover...as that is a broad scope, and I have my limitations of appreciation, as I do not care for 'all' genres.  Last night, I had opportunity to see a country band, (I was out blogging on a rock band....blog coming up next) so I decided to check it out. OMR! (that means, 'oh my rockness'!), this would really be stretching the 'At Large' in my blog name! Yipes! Have I finally lost my mind? Really? Anita seeing a country band? Do I know this genre? Heck no! However, I do have a musically 'trained' ear as a one-time piano tuner.
 
So, throughout the one hour or so that I listened, I struggled with the thought, 'to blog or not to blog' this. Every brand of music has a following, this is no different and I respect that. Can I be unbiased attempting to blog a music style that's not 'up my alley'? The harmonies and beat are nice.  The crowd is obviously different, but they too like to dance. *smile* I jotted down several notes, 'just in case'.  My personal experience with country is what I was exposed to as a child with 'The Lawrence Welk Show', 'Hee Haw' and a lot of bluegrass from the likes of 'The Beverly Hillbillies'.  That is probably as close as I'll get.  No offense to the country lovin' folk. Do they have talent? Absolutely!
 
I do not get paid for doing this blog, it is a labor of love.  It is not unusual for me to spend two or more hours putting one together, depending on how many bands I have seen in one show. Sometimes a little research is required, and I like to include links to the band's websites and Facebook pages in the 'Local Web Links' area of the blog.  I want to be as thorough as possible.  I would like to get more bands and clubs on board for the 'The Hot Spot Band/Club Calendar' I added just a few months ago. This fall and winter I intend to branch out into some other areas of the music business and highlight photography and sound on the local level.  Also, doing some 'memory lane' blogs and other interesting stuff that is music related. I would love to hear from all y'all out there, please leave comments and don't hesitate to contact me...either thru my 'Nita @ Large in Indy' Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/nitaatlargeinindy or via email: NitaAtLargeInIndy@aol.com. I know my main readership is based on rock 'n roll, and this girl loves her AC/DC, therefore I will stick to what I know...blogging rock and the likes....so....rock on!

No comments:

Post a Comment