Sunday, April 5, 2015

Indy Band Review: Saliva, The Everyday Losers & Recoil - Southport Bar & Grill - 4/4/15


 

Can bands who play original music do as well as cover bands? This is a question that I am addressing in an upcoming blog. It is more in one's comfort zone to listen to a band that plays songs you know from other popular/national bands, and perhaps you've seen a few times and really like. Although I'm blogging about the local musicians and rock music in general, I am a patron too; it's just my perspective is a bit different because I am reaching out to hundreds and thousands with what I say.  I do not follow all genres of music, there are many I really like, and others I do not...that's not a poor reflection on the music or the people who sing it and/or like it, it's just my personal preference...everybody has that.
 
Last night's show at Southport Bar & Grill (SB&G) was a triple-header of rock enjoyment for those who follow this style of music.  To me, coming from some 60's and 70's to mostly 80's rock 'n roll, even though it is classed as basically 'rock', is reminiscent to me of the thrash metal of the 80's....Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, etc., which I never got into.  That being said, it makes it a challenge for me to blog about it, so this one will be more of an information, opinion/reflection type of blog than a review. I always feel that with what I do provide, it will lend enough particulars that a person can make a decision as to whether this is a band they would like to see. Last night was an experience for me and most likely the most exposure I've had at one time to this type of rock.  I commented to a friend that I must have sat out this generation of music...I think it is a style my son would like, as I noticed many 20's and 30's age group in attendance.
 
Recoil
Genre: Commercial hard rock
Hometown: Indianapolis, IN
 
I have blogged on Recoil before when they had their own show at SB&G. It was a challenge then, but I had more of a song base to work with for my review.  Recoil hit the stage at 9 p.m. and played for about forty-five minutes.  According to the band's Facebook page, they were founded in 2008 and includes: Christopher Saunders, Scott Allen Huff, Dean Cline, Davey Pelsue and Darrell Mitchell.  Recoil performed a half dozen or so songs including an original, 'Kings and Queens'.
 
Facebook link:
 
Web link:
 
Music link:
 
 
The Everyday Losers
Genre: Alternative/Hard rock
Hometown: Washington, IN
 
Everyday Losers took the stage about 10 p.m. and played a 45-minute set of music...the frenzy continuing as patrons danced and stood on the dance floor; a practice that I still find interesting. *smile* From my research, this band has a lot of original music and a big following in their own right.  Brothers Dylan (vocals/guitar) and Tyler Seidel (guitar/vocals), Danny Norton - bass, and drummer Damian Baker round out this band from a small Indiana town I have visited numerous times back in the day when I followed my favorite local musicians, 'Under Fire', so it's not surprising that musical talent would rise up from this locale.
 
There are numerous sites in which to check out and follow these guys to keep up on news, buy merchandise, see pictures and videos and upcoming tour dates.
 
Facebook page:
 
 
Web link:
 
 
Music, lyrics, songs and videos:
 
 
 
Saliva
Genre: Southern rock/Metal/Rock
Hometown: Memphis, TN
 
This is another band that has many original songs and a loyal following.  Members Bobby Amaru, vocals; Wayne Swinny, lead guitar/background vocals, Dave Novotny, bass/background vocals and Paul Crosby, drums finished out the night with about an hour (11:30 p - 12:30a) of rockmania including a few cover tunes from AC/DC, Alice In Chains, and surprisingly Fleetwood Mac.  I thought they were gonna break into some Led Zeppelin, but it was a teaser lead....that's ok...mixing it up keeps it fresh! A level of rebel and headbanging loudness that probably will show my age (*smile*) when I say, 'I couldn't understand what they were saying!' Saliva has a new album out titled "Rise Up" available on-line and in stores.
 
Facebook page:
(find out tour dates, buy t-shirts and join their mailing list)
 
 
Web link:
 
 
There have certainly been some changes in the last three decades on the local level.  Thank you, Dave Clifton (SB&G co-owner) for bringing musical diversity to Indy...we need it...I believe there is an audience here for all genres!  One other thing I have noticed, light shows are really high-tech these days! Even though this isn't a style of rock I follow, I can still admire the talent.  And to the guys in Recoil, The Everyday Losers and Saliva, connect up with my friend Jim Madonna and his Power Rock Podcast (https://www.facebook.com/prpjimmadonna?fref=ts), get an interview set up and get the word out there about you...and as always, rock on! (*smile*)
 
 
 
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment