Sunday, May 17, 2015

Indy Band Review - Karma - Britton Tavern, Fishers - 5/16/15

 
 
Last night I had opportunity to head to a different side of town.  I admit it put me a tad outside of my comfort zone, however I adapted just fine! When I say 'Indy rocks', I mean all of Indy! This serves to make me even more observant and alert to club patrons, staff and the overall environment.  Yes, I'm there to enjoy the show, but on a different level when I'm blogging. I have long said I like a challenge, and now especially when it comes to the local rock talent...it stimulates my mind and stretches my musical horizon.  Truly I find it somewhat overwhelming how many songs there are that I haven't heard. I've found that can be a good thing, because when I hear something new to me, I just might like it! It's easy to get 'stuck' in a genre, and there are certainly ones I do not care for, but I strive to continually expand the possibilities.
 
Karma (aka: Killing Karma, also The Big 80's) brings all this together for me and then some! Their playlist runs the gamut...what is your mood tonight? Disco...adult contemporary....funkadelic...soul...pop...R&B...hip hop, reggae fusion? Ok, Karma's got ya covered! No chance of missing out on a song to dance to. It's a mixed bag of fun, get out of your seat and get your groove on kind of party...move it and shake it! What's not to like about that?  I won't give it all away, but here is a sampling of what to expect...A Taste of Honey (Boogie Oogie Oogie), Mark Ronson (Uptown Funk), Edgar Winter Group (Free Ride), Parliament (Give Up The Funk), Kenny Loggins (Footloose), Salt 'n' Pepa (Push It), Magic! (Rude), Stevie Wonder (Superstition), Robin Thicke (Blurred Lines), Tom Petty (Rescue Me), Walk The Moon (Shut Up and Dance), Tone Loc (Funky Cold Medina) and also tunes by Prince, Def Leppard, AC/DC, Kool & The Gang, Journey, Poison, Tina Turner, Guns 'n Roses, Rick Springfield and numerous others. Not your typical garden variety of selections.
 
You really need several hours to get those good Karma vibes set in your brain.  It's a high energy, movin' and groovin' on the dance floor kind of experience that spills over to the bar room floor! I noticed a mostly younger crowd at Britton, which could in part be driven by the area of town.  I like to see those in their 20's, 30's and 40's appreciating the music that had such an impact on my life.  As AC/DC (my favorite band) says it, 'rock and roll ain't noise pollution, rock and roll will never die'. There is a versatility that comes with female vocals, and if you are lookin' to dance the night away, you won't be disappointed. Hey, what goes around, comes around...and around...it's Karma!
 
Karma is:
 
Gina Dowling - vocals/keyboards
Joe Fortin - vocals/guitar
Scott Maxwell - lead guitar/keyboards
Nate Wiencken - vocals/drums
Eric Hammes - bass guitar
Joel Dowling - lights, sound, back-up vocals
 
'Like' and share their Facebook page:
 
 
 
A special thank you to David Hamilton, general manger and the Britton Tavern staff for their hospitality.  It's a friendly environment, and I hope to return soon to experience it again! Rock on!

No comments:

Post a Comment