Sunday, May 24, 2015

My Alt Personality

 
 
I have two dozen alternative songs loaded on my cell phone.  This has all transpired in just the last year...it happened with a little help from a good friend, Steve who opened up this whole world of a new-to-me style of music. I like a lot of it, and I find myself listening to the local alt station (103.3 FM) when I'm out driving in my van.  I'd really like to take the time to concentrate on the whole and learn more about these bands, beyond the 'A' side tunes I hear playing on the radio.  I really need to listen to the entire album(s) so I can get a better feel for their music in its entirety. Those who know me, know I am an 80's gal...that was my era...hair...glam...yup, I'm partial to that.  However, that being said, I don't want to pass up other good stuff...so I expand my musical horizons when I step outside of my comfort zone, and perhaps outside of the proverbial box. And since I am back to reviewing (blogging) local bands, it's imperative I know more.  So in this blog, I'd like to share with you the songs that have captured my attention...perhaps some of these might surprise you, maybe not.  I have long said I am a complex person...there are many facets to my personality...love it or hate it, take it or leave it...it's all what makes up me.
 
Here is the first song that started it all...
 
Train - Soul Sister
 
Perhaps it's the passionate side of me that draws me into songs that define sexuality, love and expression in words that are so artistic. The version I saw of this one was 'At Daryl's (Hall) House'.  Vocalist Patrick Monahan has such an impressive voice...hearing him sing is a real treat, and well looking at him isn't bad either! ;-)
 
'Your lipstick stains on the front lobe of my left side brains
I knew I wouldn't forget you, and so I let you go and blow my mind
Your sweet moonbeam, the smell of you in every single dream, I dream
I knew when we collided, you're the one I have decided who's one of my kind'
 
Next up in my alt exposure was...
 
Imagine Dragons - It's Time
 
What makes this song different is the instruments used, or lack thereof...mandolin, drums, bass, feet and hands. A stand out song for sure. Also, these lyrics run deep, and I like that.  I feel it is a true expression of our individuality, personality and direction in life.
 
'So this is where you fell
And I am left to sell
The path to heaven runs through miles of clouded hell right to the top
Don't look back
Turning to rags and giving the commodities a rain check'

Next on the list of alt was...one of Steve's favorites...
 
Kings of Leon - Sex On Fire
 
'Soft lips are open
Them knuckles are pale
Feels like you're dying
You're dying

You,
Your sex is on fire
Consumed,
We're the ones, what's to transpire'

So from those three came everything else, and it just keeps building.  I will share the rest of them, so far, as this continues to grow...and I continue to explore.  There is so much musical talent out there, many new young faces. Don't hold your breath on me turning country, rap, opera or pop dance songs in my musical journey, but sometimes I surprise myself!
 
 
Muse - Uprising
 
 
'The paranoia is in bloom, the P-R
Transmissions will resume
They'll try to push drugs
Keep us all dumbed down and hope that
We will never see the truth around
(So come on!)
Another promise, another scene,
Another package lie to keep us trapped in greed
With all the green belts wrapped around our minds
And endless red tape to keep the truth confined'
 
 
This next one is fun...I love the beat...and somehow it defines the rebel in me. :-)
 
Fitz and the Tantrums - The Walker
 
 
'Ooh, crazy's what they think about me
Ain't gonna stop 'cause they tell me so
'Cause 99 miles per hour baby,
Is how fast that I like to go.
Can't keep up with my rhythm
Though they keep trying.
Too quick for the lines they throw.
I walk to the sound of my own drum,
We go, they go, we go, hey yeah yeah yeah'
 
Imagine Dragons - I Bet My Life
 
'I know I took the path that you would never want for me
I know I let you down, didn't I?
So many sleepless nights where you were waiting up on me
Well I'm just a slave unto the night
Now remember when I told you that's the last you'll see of me
Remember when I broke you down to tears
I know I took the path that you would never want for me
I gave you hell through all the years'
 
Ho Hey - The Lumineers
 
'(Ho hey, ho hey)
(Ho) I been trying to do it right
(Hey) I been living a lonely life
(Ho) I been sleepin' here instead
(Hey) I been sleepin' in my bed
(Ho) I been sleepin' in my bed (Hey ho)
(Ho) So show me family
(Hey) All the blood that I will bleed
(Ho) I don't know where I belong
(Hey) I don't know where I went wrong'
 
I'm Not The Only One - Same Smith
 
'You and me we made a vow
For better or for worse
I can't believe you let me down
But the proof is in the way it hurts
For months on end I've had my doubts
Denying every tear
I wish this would be over now
But I know that I still need you here'
 
 
I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - The Proclaimers
 
'When I wake up yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who wakes up next to you
When I go out yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who goes along with you
If I get drunk yes I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who gets drunk next to you
And if I have yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who's havering to you'
 
If You Leave - Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark (O.M.D.)
 
'We've always had time on our sides
But now it's fading fast
Every second
Every moment
We've got to--we've gotta make it last
I touch you once I touch you twice
I won't let go at any price
I need you now like I needed you then
You always said we'd still be friends someday'
 
Shine - Collective Soul
 
'Give me a word
Give me a sign
Show me where to look
Tell me what will I find
Lay me on the ground
Fly me in the sky
Show me where to look
Tell me what will I find
Oh, heaven let your light shine down'
 
Links to some of my other fave alt songs:
 
Kongos - Come With Me Now
 
Stolen Dance - Milky Chance
 
Glycerine - Bush
 
Snow (Hey Oh) - Red Hot Chili Peppers
 
Riptide - Vance Joy
 
Gold On The Ceiling - The Black Keys
 
Left Hand Free - alt-J
 
Shut Up and Dance - Walk The Moon
 
All Apologies - Nirvana
 
Pompeii - Bastille
 
Love Runs Out - One Republic
 
Safe and Sound - Capital Cities
 
Black - Pearl Jam
 
 
I have enjoyed sharing with you my alternative personality.  I hope to experience even more.  What are some of your favorites? Please leave yours in the comments! Rock on!
 
 
 










No comments:

Post a Comment