Sunday, May 10, 2015

Indy Concert Review: Faster Pussycat w/Special Guests: GLAMerica and Loveblast - Southport Bar & Grill - 5-9-15



 
GLAMerica
Genre: 80's hair/glam metal
Hometown: Indy
 

There are so many attributes that define the 80's genre.  I get quite nostalgic when I recall this outstanding decade, perhaps because I was so much a part of it. What wasn't there to like? Tee shirt clips, Super Mario Bros, Reebok Pump sneakers...spandex, big hair, (don't forget the AquaNet!) guy-liner and the hair/glam metal bands that truly made it what it was...fond memories of a bygone era. Yes, I'm certainly biased, but I think you'd have to agree, these years were unparalleled musically, both on the local and national level. Since my return last November to reviewing rock bands, I have been searching for evidence there is still interest, I'm finding it and I am excited about it! I have an insatiable desire to experience it all over again.
 
 
 
GLAMerica fills the 80's bill spot-on. I found myself captured and quickly drawn in from the first song 'Paradise City'. Classic Guns N' Roses...it had to be the best rendition I've heard! Followed by Motley Crue, 'Girls, Girls, Girls', Twisted Sister, 'I Wanna Rock', Poison, 'Talk Dirty To Me', Ratt, 'Round and Round', Bon Jovi, 'Livin' On A Prayer', Ozzy Osbourne, 'Bark At The Moon', and several other 80's tunes. Perhaps I died and went to 80's heaven. If you love this brand of metal like I do, you have got to see them...I plan to catch a full show, because for me, there's no chance I might o.d. on this!  It's 80's rock....it's America, it's GLAMerica!
 
GLAMerica is:
 
Deen Dokken - keyboards/vocals
Tiffany Kitaen - vocals
Blaze E. Lee - lead & rhythm guitar
Tommy Rocket - drums
Jani Rose - lead vocals/guitar
Mick Sambora - lead & rhythm guitar
Duff Sixx - bass guitar/vocals
 
'Like' their Facebook page at:
 
 
Their website:
Meet the band, multimedia and upcoming events...
 
 
Loveblast
Genre: Hard rock (original)
Hometown: Chicago (Carol Stream), IL
 

These guys have been touring with Faster Pussycat since late April of this year, and after listening to them and seeing them live, it makes me wonder why I hadn't heard of them before...wow! Love it....love them! What talent! So, can this evening get even better? Another band I'd like to hear and see more of for sure! I found out they were performing here just the day before the show, so I was hustling to find information about them. The playlist included mostly original music, 'Wild Forever', 'Harder & Faster', 'Got A Feelin'', 'Give It All', the title track from their new EP, 'Hard Liquor In Big Glasses', plus several others, and surprisingly a couple of cover tunes...Van Halen 'Running With The Devil' and Judas Priest 'You've Got Another Thing Comin''.
 
This band is definitely on the move up...and I can certainly see them headlining shows in the near future, I think they're that good. Oh yeah...Loveblast me, baby!
 
Loveblast is:
 
Brian Durbin - Vocals/guitar
Johnny Rox - bass guitar
Jeff Dewbray - drums
Brian Gilmanov - guitar
 
Check out their Facebook page and join their mailing list:
 
 
 
Website:
 
 
Reverbnation Link:
 
 
 
Faster Pussycat
Genre: Hollywood sleaze metal/hard rock/glam
 


By the midnight hour, SB&G patrons had been whipped into a frenzy. No turning back now, the place was packed! From their inception in 1987, to the break up in '93 and the reformation in 2001, FP seems to be quite a complex group of guys. With just one original member now, they have not released any new music since 2009, yet their popularity is still riding the metal wave. Evident by the mob of folks standing up by the stage, it was time to get it on! Non-stop for a generous hour, classics such as 'Don't Change That Song', 'Bathroom Wall', 'Cathouse', 'Slip of the Tongue', 'House of Pain', 'Sex, Drugs & Rock-n-Roll', 'Number 1 With A Bullet', 'Jack The Bastard' and several others graced the set.  A 'remake' of a 'remake' from Carly Simon and Marilyn Manson 'You're So Vain' was part of the entertainment, and an encore of 'Where There's A Whip There's A Way'.  Even though I was a Faster Pussycat virgin of sorts before this concert, it was pretty much what I had anticipated.  Shut up and....what?! Oh my! ;-)
 
Faster Pussycat is:
 
Taime Downe - lead vocals
Xristian Simon - guitar
Danny Nordahl - bass
Chad Stewart - drums, percussion
Ace Von Johnson - guitar
 
Like their Facebook page:
 
 
 
Website:
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment