Saturday, November 15, 2014

80's Hair Metal....Where Is It Today?

Can 80's hairbands be resurrected on the local level in the 21st Century? The good ol' days of spandex, big hair and guyliner....are they gone forever? Is there an audience or even a market for them in Indy now?  I lived for the weekend and reflect on those days that began on Friday night and drew to a close in the wee hours of Monday morning...it was alive and well...nearly every side of town was rockin'...the venue was amass with local and surrounding states talent.  It even spilled over to areas outside of Indy....Crawfordsville, Evansville and Washington, Indiana especially hold many fond memories for me.  I traveled many miles following and getting my story....staying on top of the local 'who's who'.  It was exciting times for sure! So, where are those bands now? Well, unfortunately the names and faces have faded away, but some of them stuck with it and are still crankin' out the tunes under a new name, but most of them moved on to a 'normal'  lifestyle, settling down, having a family and getting a 'day job'.
 
I have recently wondered if that heyday could breathe new life.  As the few who went professional or those who have re-entered the mix are now in their late 40's and early 50's....as I am, it's a scene that has transformed. Personally, I think the best years in rock and roll was mid 80's up to about '92. Perhaps I'm biased, because that was my era. What comes around, goes around and vice versa.  It seems as though 80's hair bands are regaining popularity.  I like that, and I'm excited at the possibilities and I want to be a part of it!  This town could use some excitement! I would love to see some reunions! That would be a blast!
 
Getting back into it myself here recently after a 15 year hiatus, it's different, for sure....somewhat probably because I'm not the same person I was back then...although I realize some things never change....uh....like groupies....ha! Gotta love it! It's all part of what makes it what it is....rock and roll...a good time!  More recent technology, especially social media has made it a much changed environment....we communicate and behave very differently these days.  Information and news is in 'real time'.  It's much easier to promote because the world wide web makes it a...small world indeed.  I'm sure every band, local or national has a social page somewhere.  Publishing an article in an entertainment newspaper used to be about the only way to communicate this information, and that, at best was delayed and wasn't immediate like everything is now.  We live in an instant society. Something happens, we know about it right now....not next month when the paper comes out.
 
I have created this blog for many reasons.  I love rock and roll, I love to write, and I love musical talent!  I want to share what is out there with everybody!  I hope you will enjoy reading, as I will explore many avenues in the world of music.  I invite your comments, ideas and input.  Please visit and like my Nita @ Large In Indy Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/nitaatlargeinindy  I look forward to meeting as many of you as possible.  This is a journey for me.  I hope you will be a part of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment