Saturday, November 29, 2014

Recoil - Indy Band Review - Southport Bar & Grill

 
 
 
I will start off this blog by saying, it will be both an interesting and challenging review for me to write.  My whole musical background spans nearly a half century, as pretty much my entire life has been filled with song. During that span I have been exposed to many styles of this form of art that continues to broaden for me, as there is so much out there...so much talent. I am in anticipation of experiencing as much as I can.  From hymns, champagne music, bluegrass, pop, adult alternative, heavy metal, and rock (especially 80's hair metal)...and so many more....I'm musically diversified.  That being said, local Indy band 'Recoil' proved to be...well...different. That's not bad, but rather perhaps....stimulating.  When I originally reviewed hometown bands in the mid to late 80's, early 90's, there were just as many I didn't review as ones I did, however, now I don't want to leave anyone out...it's my blog and I want to share it to its fullest extent, and I have no one else to be selective regarding its content.
 
So...how would I describe 'Recoil'? Well....'in your face', thrash genre comes to mind...I don't know really. Reminiscent of Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer, 80's bands my musical appetite never quite grasped back in the day. I'm kind of at a loss for words...and believe me, that rarely happens, especially when it comes to music....ha! The sticking point for me was the majority of tunes they performed, I'm not familiar with! For all the melodic variety I've brought into my world, it appears I need to expand my mind a bit more.  For all those bands I didn't review, there was never one that I didn't recognize the songs....wow...a first! Thus, the challenge for me!
 
Ok....so on to what I was able to pick up.  There were many selections that aren't your 'garden variety' of cover tunes you typically hear in the club, such as Grand Funk ('We're An American Band), Billy Idol ('Rebel Yell'), Blackfoot ('Train, Train') and Led Zeppelin ('Good Times Bad Times'), which brought a couple patrons on the dance floor.  For the style of music, I would have expected the common 'head-banging' crowd, however it was more an unassuming but loyal bunch in the audience, evident they were enjoying their evening of entertainment. One thing that did capture my attention was the standing, instead of dancing on the dance floor. For a couple of tunes the vocals were handed over to 'friends of the band' to perform, such as Ratt ('Lay It Down') and Theory of a Deadman ('Bad Girlfriend')...a song I had to research to include here, as I had never heard it, but picked up enough words to check it out.
 
According to the band's FaceBook page, they were formed in 2008 and are described as 'high energy, commercial hard rock'. Also, voted #1 rock band in Indianapolis in NUVO's 2013 'Best of Indy People's Choice Awards'.  Band members are: Christopher Saunders, Scott Allen Huff, Dean Cline, Davey Peisue, and Darrell Mitchell.  They also have a pretty impressive computerized light show.  You can listen to their original music on SoundCloud at: https://soundcloud.com/recoilindy-1. They seemed to be well-received at this Southside club, and I believe definitely a band that is 'outside the box' when it come to performance, so if you are looking for an unusual musical experience, check them out! And if you love it LOUD, you won't be disappointed!
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment