Sunday, November 23, 2014

Jambox - Indy Band Review - Southport Bar & Grill

 
 
It's great to have fond memories of days gone by on the local rock scene, but it's even better to make new ones! So, the market has 'aged' somewhat in the last two and a half decades....haven't we all? I've certainly expanded my horizon with diverse musical genre this year, but hands down, I love the 80's era.  I'm alright with 70's stuff too, and Indy band 'Jambox' filled the bill for both...you could feel it in the air.  The November 22nd show at Southport Bar & Grill (5220 E. Southport Road, Indianapolis, 317-780-7969) soon had my mind reminiscing of yesteryear....just as one of the Journey tunes the band performed 'Stone In Love' says....'those crazy nights, I do remember in my youth...I do recall those were the best times, most of all....' Ahh....yes, 'those summer nights are callin'.
 
Eric Rozens - vocals (Photo credit: Bill Iles)
 
 
The night moved right along as lead vocalist Eric Rozens belted out tune after tune in a clear, strong voice that reminded me much of Journey vocalist Steve Perry, which was quite fitting for the other Journey favorites performed, 'Any Way You Want It' and 'Faithfully'. 
 
However, don't let the slow dance ballads such as Styx ('Babe') fool you...Billy Squier ('Everybody Wants You') and Led Zeppelin ('All Of My Love') rounded out a nice variety of cover tunes.  Hearing some less popular songs like Triumph's 'Magic Power' and Simple Minds 'Don't You (Forget About Me)', showcased this band's versatility in rock and roll style.
 
Robert Palmer's 'Addicted To Love' was a likable addition, as drummer Rusty Scutt took the vocal spotlight on this tune, and a couple others during the evening.  It's always nice to see the drummer take the lead on vocals because naturally, they're a bit hidden on stage.
 
Rusty Scutt - drums (Photo credit: Bill Iles)
 
Keyboardist Dave Lucid displayed his talent throughout the night and particularly with a Paul McCartney tune 'Maybe I'm Amazed'.  Always audible in the background of each, adding a unique talent, as not all bands make use of this instrument. However, if you know me, I am a bit partial to it myself!
 
Dave Lucid - keyboards (Photo credit: Bill Iles)
 
 
Guitarist Ritchie Wilkison took over with a little Cheap Trick ditty, 'Surrender'...always a crowd favorite.  Paired with bassist Jeff Ellison, Jambox cranked it up with Boston's 'It's Been Such A Long Time', which got patrons moving to the dance floor for the first time in the evening, a practice that would continue throughout the rest of the show.
 
Ritchie Wilkison - guitar (Photo credit: Bill Iles)

Jeff Ellison - bass (Photo credit: Bill Iles)
 
Yes ('Owner Of A Lonely Heart'), Bon Jovi ('Little Runaway'), Wings ('Live And Let Die'), Jefferson Starship ('Jane'), Don Henley ('Dirty Laundry'), Cars ('Just What I Needed') and Kansas ('Carry On Wayward Son') played also as an encore, along with many other popular rock tunes rounded out a diverse playlist.  So, which Loverboy song did they play? Well...I don't want to give away the whole line-up...you'll have to check them out for yourself!
 
I hope to have opportunity to see these guys again and speak with them on a more personal level and talk about future plans.  This was crowd pleasing, good times for sure.  I enjoyed my evening with friends and great music.  If you were there, I'm sure you'd share my opinion, and I think you will also agree, these guys are worth seeing again! Time to get your Jambox on!






No comments:

Post a Comment