Saturday, November 15, 2014

Why I Am Writing This Blog

I love 80's hair metal music! The mid to late 80's to very early 90's was 'my time'.  I lived for the weekend! Writing is in my blood, literally! (I'm related to the Scottish poet, Robert Burns)  My passion for journalism became evident early...when I was in the 4th grade. We had to write an essay for English class....and mine made the school book that was a collection of articles written by others from grades 1 thru 6.  I was hooked! It has played a tremendous role in my life, and has always been something I return to, regardless of whatever else I have pursued.
 
I can remember a few things in my life back to when I was four years old....I can remember more from age five on....music has been in my life since then, and has played a big role for me and truly developed my love for this form of art.  I listen to and enjoy many different kinds and styles of music, from classical to bluegrass, alternative to rock, hymns, and even enjoy some M.C. Hammer and Terence Trent D'Arby from time to time. I grew up on Lawrence Welk and Hee Haw! What a combination, huh?
 
At the age of eight, my mom decided it was time for me to learn to play piano, even though I didn't want to.  The next nine years of my young life would develop an even deeper appreciation of this form of art, by directly breathing life into it as I discovered a whole new world of expression through my fingertips.  I kept at it, mostly due to my mom's prodding....having to sit down and practice for a half hour every day when I'd rather be out playing in the yard.  It certainly wasn't my idea of fun.  However, it gave me discipline, positive direction and a sense of responsibility.
 
It has been a long and winding road for me in those last four plus decades.  In retrospect, I am so glad my mom and dad provided it for me, it is truly a blessing and a gift...one that I can share with others, allowing them to enjoy a small piece of my world.  It has been and continues to be life changing, as I realize the more I learn, the more there is to know.  I'll never know it all, but that's part of the thrill of the journey.  Over those years it has been a solace and an emotional release for me, having the ability to sit down at the piano and play brings a sense of peace to my mind. Combine this with my singing abilities that developed early on, and it is no wonder I just cannot stay away from it.  I have long been and continue to be attracted to it and admire those who participate in it.
 
I hope you will enjoy this blog....and share it with family and friends.  It will mainly be about the local club scene in Indy, but will also reflect upon music....lyrics, the people, the lives...all that makes it tick.  We each possess God-given abilities and talents...we need to be out there sharing it and helping to expand and enrich the lives of those around us.  What a beautiful world we do live in. Search out the good, the enjoyment, the richness...live your life to its fullest....and love....love others deeply....it's one of the greatest experiences of living.  I hope that music brings to you all that it has to my life....I can not imagine its absence...ever.  Please join me in sharing the full appreciation for its contribution to our existence, won't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment